Friday, May 11, 2007

Checking In

Just a quick update as I've not posted for a week, mainly because my listening over the past few days has been limited, and the music I have been listening to has been quite unusual, quite challenging for me, and I haven't even come close to processing my response to much of it, let alone become able to write anything salient here. The CDs Acquired link over on the left will show you what my recent purchases have been, but essentially quite a bit of composition from the early end of the 20th Century, an area I know little to nothing about, but my curiosity got the better of me.

One very great CD of a music I am much more at home with turned up amongst recent acquisitions though, the new duo recording of Toshimaru Nakamura and Axel Dörner on the Ftarri label, an offshoot of the Improvised Music from Japan label. This release is one of the best new pieces of music I've heard so far this year, so I'll save my thoughts for a proper review and evaluation, but its certainly one I recommend checking out if you can.

Tomorrow evening I head up to Derbyshire to hook up with my good friend David Reid before we follow on North to Gateshead and the Music Lovers Field Companion Festival on Saturday. Some great names on the bill, an Angharad Davies/Tisha Mukarji/Andrea Neumann trio, Los Glissandinos, Polwechsel, and a Radu Malfatti composition for a 27 piece orchestra. Looking forward to it.

All this and a new Cathnor release due any moment, about which I shall write at length here very soon.

2 comments:

Jacques O. said...

Yesterday night, I saw Andrea performing solo here in Paris. She was great!

Richard Pinnell said...

Hi Jacques.

Yeah at the recent i and e Festival she was very impressive. If I had to award a Festival MVP award she would have won it hands down. Really looking forward to the trio tomorrow.