Saturday, May 19, 2007

How was your week?

Its been a pretty frustrating one here. Hopeful leads to resolve my stressful work situation have been painfully slow in coming to fruition, Julie has spent much of the week at the hospital as a close relative of hers is critically ill, and my Grandmother is in the process of being assessed as being incapable of living alone any longer. All of this has been coupled with further delays to the release of the fourth Cathnor CD caused by incompetent printers. Its not been the most fantastic of weeks.

Depressing stuff, so as ever I've been turning to music to distract me from the day to day trials and tribulations. This week the classical explorations have been put to one side to spend some time with a clutch of nice "EAI" related CDs that have graced the tray of my CD deck. Along with the Toshimaru Nakamura / Axel Dörner CD on the Ftarri label that I mentioned a couple of posts back I've been listening to a couple of related discs, the Dörner / Lucio Capece duo on the L'innomable label, and the trio of Dörner, Capece and Robin Hayward on Azul discografica. This trio of recordings were recorded over a couple of years (oddly though, all at Dörner's Berlin flat) yet have all appeared in a short period of time, with a fourth release in this 'series' the duo of Nakamura and Capece due on the Formed label any day now.
All three of these discs are great, and Pinnell Towers has resonated to the sound of spluttering brass and reeds all week as I've been getting my thoughts together for a review, to appear at ParisTransatlantic in a couple of weeks.

Another very strong CD I've been playing a lot is from the trio of Michael Renkel, Sabine Vogel and Magda Mayas who go by the collective name of Phono Phono, which also seems to be the title of their first album on the Absinth label. Another review planned for this one, which is a curious mix of guitar, piano, flute and electronics, ranging from very quiet Feldmanesque moments to quirky quickfire improv, but somehow all making sense as one big whole. I had no expectations for this disc when it arrived, but have been pleasantly surprised at how much I've enjoyed it.

As I type I am also feverishly planning another couple of music related trips, the first of which being this coming Friday and a possible Eurostar journey to Brussels to catch the intriguing quintet of Radu Malfatti, Lucio Capece, Taku Sugimoto, Toshimaru Nakamura, Julia Eckhardt and Christian Kesten, apparently performing Malfatti compositions. Its by no means certain I'll make the trip, but if not it won't be for lack of trying. The other possible musical expedition could be up to Aberdeen in the middle of June to catch Keith Rowe play a solo set. I haven't decided whether to drive or fly yet, but either way I'm looking forward to that one.

OK, back to the spluttering trumpets....

7 comments:

jon abbey said...

"the intriguing quintet of Radu Malfatti, Lucio Capece, Taku Sugimoto, Toshimaru Nakamura, Julia Eckhardt and Christian Kesten"

that's an extremely intriguing quintet, considering it's six musicians... :)

Richard Pinnell said...

Could I politely point you to the disclaimer about mistakes bottom left of the screen?

But thank you for pointing it out, my error stems in part from my reading of the venue webite for this show which announces Radu Malfatti en Kwintet. This coupled with typing that post after most of a bottle of Chauvignon Blanc confised me a little :)

Kostis Kilymis said...

add to those a solo Capece dvd-r on a question of re-entry which should be out by now.

hope the formed disc will not face more delays though...

Richard Pinnell said...

Thanks Kostis, I wasn't aware of that one. If all goes to plan and I get to see Lucio on Friday I'll see if he has a copy. DVD-r though? is this another audio/visual release? I kind of hope not.

Kostis Kilymis said...

no, i don't think he'll have it in his hands yet since he's been on the road for a week now. i could send you a copy myself though

don't worry about the visual part, its simply two short films of him performing solo.

Richard Pinnell said...

Thanks Kostis, I've sent you an email.

jon abbey said...

Will B. said the new Formed discs are at the printers now. if you think it's hard for Richard to manage getting releases out along with the rest of his life, imagine being based in Lebanon and trying to do it...