Sunday, July 29, 2007

Divine Interventions

I'm not a religous person, not even slightly, but sometimes I get the feeling that someone somewhere is directing me towards certain things. Over the last few days since returning from France and as the weather has been so rotten I've worked my way right through the six disc box set of Shostakovich's String Quartets performed by the Borodin Quartet again interspersed with other music and several spins of Keith Rowe's The Room. I enjoyed the experience immensely (my favourites are now 8, 14 and the unbelievable 15th by the way) Whilst in France I got to hear one of Shostakovich's symphonies on CD and really enjoyed it too.

So this afternoon Julie and I went to her parent's house to check up on the place as they are away. Whilst Julie did all the boring stuff like water plants and pick up the post I undertook the important task of sitting in the back garden, which has a stream running through it, feeding baby moorhens pieces of bread. The weather has been lovely today (amazingly!) and so I stretched out on a sun lounger and put the radio on as I fed little hungry beaks. There was symphony on Radio 3 that immediately struck me as incredibly beautiful, but having joined halway through I didn't know for certain what it was. I guessed at Shostakovich, but not trusting my knowledge of this area of music enough yet I kept Julie waiting until the piece ended so I could find out what it was. Sure enough it was indeed Shostakovich, his fiftteenth and final symphony to be precise. So we left and I made a mental note to get myself a box of the symphonies as soon as I could, despite the fact I have been trying to cut down on CD purchasing and increase CD listening of late. (and I've been successful too! see how few discs I bought in July compared to other months this year!)

Later this afternoon I popped into Oxford for something and took the opportunity to nip into the Blackwells Music Shop (the best of a bad bunch of places to buy music in Oxford) to look for a set of the symphonies. Just inside the door I virtually tripped over a large stack of the Shostakovich Edition 27 CD + 1 DVD box set that contains a recording of everything Shostakovich ever wrote including all of the symphonies conducted by Rudolf Barshai. Not only was this stack placed right in my way where I nearly collided with it, but the sets were reduced from £71 to a mere £21...

I'm sure you can guess how the story ends. I'm now convinced that there obviously must be a God and his main interest in life is directing my musical discoveries.... Oh and two posts back I asked the rain to stop and that happened too, what more proof do we need? ;)

2 comments:

Alastair said...

I'll try again, this time with a "tiny" url

Art Lange seems impressed too, and at that price...can you pick me up a copy too?

http://tinyurl.com/2zdkwh

Richard Pinnell said...

Yeah as long as I get into town before they sell out I can do that. There were quite a few copies there so should be OK.