Monday, August 06, 2007

One of those nice little eBay moments

I think most visitors here will have a list, however short, of recordings that if they ever saw them for sale, either in a shop or on eBay they would move heaven and earth to try and lay their hands on. My list is surprisingly short, just two or three items I always keep an eye open for, and down the years I have managed to find a good few things I've long been looking for, simply through patient determination.

One CD has long avoided me though, and has been on top of my list for years on end, the Rohan de Saram and Marianne Schroeder recording on the HatArt label of Morton Feldman's Patterns in a chromatic field. I've known the music for quite some time, having been able to get hold of some good quality Mp3s a while back, but I've never seen the discs for sale anywhere. Not in any shop, online or otherwise, and until last week never on eBay. Then after searching tirelessly on a regular basis a copy just appeared and I've watched it like a hawk for the last five days. The auction ended at half past two this morning, and so I set an alarm to make sure I was awake to fight off any last minute challengers, but none came. Earlier yesterday someone placed a $25 maximum bid against the disc, which wasn't even faintly close enough to topple my maximum bid, and so I ended up winning the disc for $26, or £13, some four or five pounds less than it would sell new over here. (If by some crazy chance my rival bidder should happen to read this, I'm sorry!)

So I'm not going to count my chickens until the disc arrives in the post, but I am a cautiously happy person this morning.

5 comments:

Jon said...

that's a good one, one of my faves.

Richard Pinnell said...

Yeah, possibly my favourite Feldman recordings, certainly high up there. Will be nice to have a "proper" copy.

J.K. Brogan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.K. Brogan said...

Wandelweiser in NYC? Yes!

Doug Holbrook said...

Ooh..


I'm jealous. That CD has always been on my wish list..

Too bad I've bee boycotting eBay.