Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Under the weather

Sorry for the dirth of posts over the last week. I've not been well, the chest infection rendering me pretty low for much longer than expected, and the inspiration just hasn't been here.
Apart from the occasions when job interviews have seen me have to drag myself out into the real world I've had little energy to do much more than sleep, get annoyed at Sudoku puzzles, and sit in bed with a sketchbook. Today I feel well enough to be up and bouncing about and what happens? Yeah it doesn't stop raining again. Can't win around here!
I've actually done very little music listening too, perhaps a little burnt out after several months of intense investigations, but when I have been listening its either been to the BBC Proms on Radio 3 and any CD listening has been almost exclusively Shostakovich and Mahler.

Things are looking much brighter here today though as I have yet to cough all morning and a nice little bundle of CDs fell through the letterbox, which is always guaranteed to spark life into these old bones. Four separate packages, the first two were eBay purchases, and I'm pleased to say my copy of Patterns in a chromatic field is here safe and well, along with an old OOP disc of unusual Luigi Nono realisations under the eye of Bruno Maderna. Unusual in that they are less commonly performed works rather than unusual performances, though as I have yet to listen it may apply both ways.

The two new discs from Will Benton's Formed label arrived, looking good. Raymond & Marie by the Mersault trio of Korber, Weber and Wolfarth is a live recording from a Swiss festival that I'm looking forward to hearing.ij, the duo disc of Lucio Capece and Toshi Nakamura sounds very nice however, having given it its first spin this morning, more about that one later.

The final disc I received is a CDR packaged in a white card sleeve bound up roughly in heavy duty black tape and comes from the American duo of Dave Barnes (otherwise known as Dave Quam in certain circles) and Graham Stephenson, an electronics, trumpet collaboration. No idea what to expect, which is often the best way to approach a new CD...

Anyway, thats about it for now, I just wanted to put up a post to stop rust settling in, I'm off to make lunch and spend the afternoon with some new music :)

6 comments:

tomas said...

richard, only track 1 is live on "raymond & marie", tracks 2 and 3 are studio recordings. hope you enjoy.

Richard Pinnell said...

Hi Tomas

Ah OK, I jumped to a conclusion reading the liner notes, my mistake, I'll have Julie slap my wrists for me later ;)

I had a distracted listen through last night and it sounded nice, will try again later.

zhao said...

heya mr. pinnell

just saw your comment now, a few months later, on the Hatology recording of Treatise. it's the only one i know and i love it... so it is terrible compared to other versions? please let me know which ones?

thanks!

Richard Pinnell said...

Hi Zhao

Well there aren't many great recordings of Treatise, which is one of the reasons why I hope to release a good realisation of the piece in the not too distant future.

The AMM version on the Combine, Laminates disc is nice, as is the AMM / Formanex disc on fibrr, albeit very different indeed. The HatArt version doesn't sound much like Treatise to me, and its pretty disrespectful to Cardew's guidelines on how the score should be played. This doesn't necesarilly make it bad music of course, but it sounds pretty clumsy and ugly too.

Jon said...

don't forget disc 7 of the AMPLIFY box!

I wouldn't describe the Hat Art Treatise set as 'clumsy and ugly' from what I recollect, but the opposite, bland and uninteresting, almost ambient. either way, I don't think it's faithful to Cardew, as Richard said.

Richard Pinnell said...

Yes I did forget the AMPLIFY Treatise, thanks.

Well it sbeen a long while since I heard the Hat Treatise as well, so I'd have to go check. I remember it being ambient-ish as well, so yeah pretty ugly, have to check on the clumsy bit.