Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How do you choose the soundtrack to a mid-life crisis?

As pathetically unoriginal as it may sound I made myself a New Years resolution to lose some weight and try and get fitter. I've never really had to worry much about this kind of thing throughout my life, having remained the same weight for my first thirty or so years. Over the last eighteen months or so though I have begun to pile on the pounds, and like so many others I ate too much at Christmas and now feel the urge to have my first bona fide mid life crisis and worry about my health.

So, after spending the first week or two of the year contemplating my navel (whilst I can still see it) I started eating healthier this week, and have also gone out for a short run each of the last three evenings... I used to go out walking every evening when I still had dogs about the house, but over the last few years this has dwindled to maybe one walk a week. I used to really enjoy that time in isolation with whatever music I chose to take along with me, so I looked forward to compensating for the pain of starting to run with the prospect of some more quality listening time...

Well I've learnt one thing... you can't really run and listen to this kind of music. Apart from the fact that Jez riley French's Field Recordings Vol.21 album was accompanied by the additional sounds of blood vessels trying to explode in my ears and wheezing splutters coursing through my windpipe, the damned headphone buds kept falling out of my ears....

So tomorrow I'm going to look a plonker with a massive pair of headphones clamped to my head, and I'm uploading Public Enemy and Roni Size to my iPod to give the adrenalin a boost... God knows where all of this will end!

---

On another New Years resolution type note I promised myself that I would try and write more formally on music more often in 2008, and spend less time getting into silly online arguments... This coincided with our friend Brian's announcement of a year long hiatus from reviewing CDs for Bagatellen so that he can definitely without any doubt get his book finished this year without any question (I think thats what you said isn't it Brian? ;) So I am aiming to write one review a week for Bagatellen this year to cover in some unsatisfyingly insufficient manner for Brian whilst he has his own little mid-life crisis ;) The odds are very much against me achieving this, or anything close to it, but you never know, I can but try. The first review of a really great album is here.

6 comments:

Cornelis said...

Hi Richard

Great you're doing some regular stuff for Bags

Cor

Brian Olewnick said...

Yeah, the Davies/Mukarji review was very fine--have to pick up that one still. I do, however, expect at least three reviews per week...

Don't tell anyone, but I finished the bio years ago and I'm just holding out for a higher up-front bonus, something in the six figure range.

Good luck on the exercise regimen--don't kill yourself. Many boomers my age have tons of joint maladies due to over-strenuous workouts and nonsense in their youth. Relatively lengthy, fast-paced walks (about 4-5 mph or whatever that works out to in that bizarre system you use over there) are just about as good both aerobically and calorie-wise.

...he says, while scarfing down a bacon cheeseburger....

Richard Pinnell said...

Thanks Cor

Its OK Brian I'm not likely to overdo anything, (either the running or the reviewing)...

Off out to run/walk in the mud and rain again in a moment with Cor's Slee as accompaniment as it happens. (Thanks Cor!)

and yes we still use mph over here, its the rest of the continent that insists on changing things... ;)

Alastair said...

You're just not stressed enough, Richard. When you hated your job and were working 27-hour days you were whippet-thin.

Alastair said...

Hang on a minute:

"having remained the same weight for my first thirty or so years"

I'm glad I didn't have to give birth to you...

Richard Pinnell said...

Heh. I read that myself the other day and realised it read incorrectly but couldn't be bothered to change it. Not sure what I meant there really, but between the ages of 15 and 34 I weighed eleven and a half stone continually.

Brian if you're wondering what a stone is its what you get if you divide two farthings by a kilometre.