Monday, May 26, 2008

The long (not very) winding road

Yesterday, just for a change I went into London and attended the Tate Modern. Getting there early I took my usual stroll around my favourite haunts (For anyone that has visited in recent weeks and wondered where two of the Rotho Seagram paintings had gone to, I don't know either, but rest assured they are back now!) I also had a potter around the Duchamp / Picabia / Man Ray show, which left me a little cold if the truth is known.

If you have an interest in Duchamp then you probably know everything that this exhibition could tell you. Unless you had no knowledge at all of his urinal, and you walked into the gallery and were suprised by it, then you probably don't need to go and see it. In my opinion Duchamp was a genius, but at the end of the day its still just a urinal. Once you know its there and why its there then there's nothing more to be gained by going to look at it. At first I didn't fully understand the connection with Picabia and Man Ray either, beyond the fact they were friends at an early age, though their mutual links to the formative Dada movement did begin to show through in the work of all three as I wandered through. However the works on display were spread over such a wide range of styles and ideas that making sense of it all was very difficult. But then maybe thats the point.

I had another reason for attending the Tate yesterday however. As part of the somewhat bizarre Long Weekend series of events Luke Fowler and Lee Patterson performed their response to the La Monte Young score Draw a straight line and follow it. In typically Pattersonesque style the duo set off a few weeks back to the remote Hebridian Isle of Islay. Fowler is a film maker, best known to me as the creator of the excellent Pilgrimmage from scattered points documentary on Cornelius Cardew. Patterson is arguably the UK's best exponent of the art of field recording right now. Together they chose the B8016 road that joins Islay's two biggest towns Bowmore and Port Ellen. the road is very straight, and they walked its ten mile length, Patterson making field recordings along the way, capturing the natural environment as well as the hum of wire fences, insect chatter beneath the surface of stagnant streams and the occasional passing car. Fowler filmed the journey, and later he spliced the footage together into a 25 minute long impressionistic film that captured the essence of the walk, the place and Patterson at work.

Lee then made the soundtrack to the film from the assorted recordings he had made along the walk. Yesterday at the Tate the film was shown, and Lee added extra sounds into the room using items he and Luke had picked up from along the route as sound sources. Pine cones with contact mics attached were blown onto through a straw, and discarded plastic drinks bottles were used as simple feedback chambers held in front of tiny microphones to create sustained tones that could be tuned carefully by adjusting the position and size of the bottles.

B8016 2008 was a nice little event to experience. Its easy to sense that its creators took an enormous amount of pleasure from its creation. Remarkable simply because it was all brought together in about two weeks, and perfect as a vehicle for these two talented artists to do what they do best, this simple but effective response to La Monte Young's score made for a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

The photo above by the way isn't actually of the B8016. I couldn't find a photo of it online. It is however another straight road on Islay, just a few miles North, and well, who would know?

Edit: Here's a pic of the road in question, kindly supplied by Armin. (see comments)

5 comments:

Armin said...

There are quite a few bloggers who know. Me included. The lighthouse gives it away, there is no lighthouse like that visible from the B8016 (aka High Road).

By the way, strictly speaking it isn't connecting Port Ellen and Bowmore (that's more the A846). The B8016 ends closer to Bridgend than to Bowmore.

I'll post a picture of it on Friday if you want ;-)

PS: I'd be very interesting in seeing this film, any pointers where and how to see it would be appreciated.

Richard Pinnell said...

Wow

Hi Armin...little did I expect when I made that comment that someone from the Isle would read it!

Sorry for the errors. My knowledge of your beautiful home is somewhat limited, but its somewhere I would dearly love to visit, maybe sometime soon.

If you post a pic I will certainly use it here, thanks!

As for seeing the film, well that could be difficult. Its possible it could be rescreened here and there as a part of arts festivals, but who knows where or when, and as it was commisioned by the Tate they may well have some say in that.

Luke is from Glasgow, so his work often gets seen in Scotland, but its not really the kind of thing you see turn up at your local cinema. (Mind you, do you have a local cinema? A big romantic part of me hopes not!)

I'll ask Lee and Luke if they have any plans for it to be shown elsewhere.

Armin said...

Richard,

forgot to let you know last night, but here's the picture of the road I had promised. That picture was taken in October last year.

I'm actually not from Islay and unfortunately don't live there (yet). I only blog about it and visit as often as I can. From all my visits I'd like to think I know the island quite well, hence could tell almost instantly why your picture wasn't from the road.

In regards to a cinema, you're right, Islay doesn't have one. To my knowledge never had one, the nearest probably either Campbelltown or Lochgilphead. However, it is visited by the mobile cinema quite regularly. Not sure if it's possible to show it there or if it's feasible to show in another place like one of the village halls.

If you hear of it being shown somewhere else I'd appreciate if you can let me know. I currently live near Reading, so coming to London isn't a problem for me.

Richard Pinnell said...

Thanks for hat Armin! I'll add that pic to the main post...

So you are in Reading?! Ha! That's just down the road from me here! Well if you can get to Islay regularly I'm sure I can make a trip up there soon.

Thanks for the mention at your blog.

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇


av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖